[OM] Why I like OM's (Was: OM-2n 'off' shutter speed)

Subject: [OM] Why I like OM's (Was: OM-2n 'off' shutter speed)
From: coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:38:09 -0600
----- Original Message -----
On Friday, Oct. 20/00 at 12:23:34 PM, Paul Farrar <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
mused:

> Any such feature additions would, however, violate commpany
> policy by encouraging sales and positive press comment.

Aha!!!  I *finally* figured out why I love OM cameras so much!

For those of you that don't know (probably most), I work for IBM.
Historically,
IBM has been known to "miss the boat" when it comes to key business
decisions.  Some examples are:

- Deciding that nobody would *ever* need more than 640k of RAM in a PC
- Ignoring the home PC market, thereby spawning the birth of Compaq and
every other "clone" manufacturer
- OS2 (great operating system... crappy marketing...  need I say more???)

Anyway, Paul's comment about Olympus having an unspoken "policy"
("corporate culture" might be more precise)that caused them to "miss the
boat" in the SLR market (particularly the "pro" market) suddenly "connected
the dots" in my mind between the corporate histories of Olympus and IBM.

I guess I'm just a sucker for companies that screw-up big time!  <G>

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  Let's NOT start an off-topic debate 'bout PC's v.s. Macs, the
advantages or shortcoming of OS2 over any other OS, or any other similar
debate.  I just used those as examples of how IBM has "blown it" in the
past, not as fodder for an OT battle!

P.S.S.  A debate 'bout how (or how badly) Olympus has missed the boat IS
fair ball, though!  <G>

P.S.S.S.  Aw, what the heck!  I'll start it off...  Can you say "digital
back"???  <G>