Re: [OM] Of Spotmatics and Olys

Subject: Re: [OM] Of Spotmatics and Olys
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:19:53 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:

The OM1 did nothing much new but did it very, very well. So did some
others. Pentax made the near indestructible K1000, for instance, still
being made in China and imported here (Aus) for the schools market - the VW
of cameras.

Andrew,

That was a great and well documented response on the OM/Spotmatic discussion. I would mildly disagree only that the OM 1 did nothing much new. The SLR was pretty much redesigned from top to bottom, not only reducing it in size but creating a professional level camera system that did not require native bearers to transport. Maitani's pledge for the lenses to equal or better the performance of any other maker's seemed to be kept in the reviews I read at the time. Staying away from car analogies, it would be sort of like saying that the Sony Walkman did nothing much new because it was not the first to use tape cassettes.

I really enjoyed the sites in your response. Thanks.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA