Re: [OM] Of Spotmatics and Olys

Subject: Re: [OM] Of Spotmatics and Olys
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:07:37 -0500 (CDT)
> >>The Asahi Spotmatic was the world's first SLR with
> >>TTL metering (originally intended to be a spot meter,
> >>hence the name Spotmatic, but an averaging meter
> >>went into production) produced in 1964.
>
> >No - first TTL - Topcon RE Super -
> >http://www.kte.nl/~pjonkman/cameras.htm
>
> Hmmmm.....  This is interesting.  Someone is not telling
> the truth somewhere.  But, in case you didn't figure it
> out, Asahiflex is a product of Asahi (the maker of the
> Pentax cameras).  So I think we are in agreement on the
> first point -- except for the dates.

Topcon also had full aperture metering, which Pentax didn't
get for years. The Topcon RE or Super D (US name) was, I believe,
the first camera to have the full set of features that defined
the SLR as we know it: (Minus automations of the basic functions
like focussing)

Interchangeble lenses.
Shutter in body. Aperture and focus in lens.
Pentaprism viewing available.
TTL metering at full aperture.
Full auto diaphragm. (closes down the instant before the shot AND
reopens.)
Quick return mirror (comes back down after shot.)
Lever film advance which simultaneously cocks shutter, diaphragm and
mirror.
135 film cartridge and 24x36 frame. Crank rewind.

Until around 1970 when most manufacturers standardized on this set
most cameras were missing one or more. For example Minolta SRs
didn't open up the diaphragm until you advanced the film.

Paul Farrar