Re: [OM] Of Spotmatics and Olys

Subject: Re: [OM] Of Spotmatics and Olys
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:27:37 +1100
>Hmmmm.....  This is interesting.  Someone is not telling
>the truth somewhere.  But, in case you didn't figure it
>out, Asahiflex is a product of Asahi (the maker of the
>Pentax cameras).  So I think we are in agreement on the
>first point -- except for the dates.

Yes, except that they didn't start calling it a Pentax in 1954!
1957 I think.

>Obviously you did a lot more research than I did, I only
>looked at the Pentax web site and foolish me, I believe
>that they knew something about their own company history.

No - company men fall for the myths as well and eventually they become truths.

>Someone should notify Pentax that the claims in their
>web site are "bald face lies" because that is what they
>(Pentax/Asahi) claimed at:
>http://www.pentax.com/worldfirst.html
>
>I am especially sprprised that they didn't know the
>dates of their own product innovations.  Hmmm....  But
>wait, that is an English web site, they may have
>translated it all wrong.  So let's go to the source:
>http://www.pentax.co.jp/japan/p_menu/index.html
>and see what they claim there --- Oooo, they also clain
>the same dates for the same events.
>
>Oh well, I guess you just can't trust those Pentax
>people to tell the truth. :-).  No big deal.
>       -Dan

Companies don't lie - they just tell the truths that suit them! The Topcon
was a marketing failure and the Pentax wasn't. In war, the great advantage
of winning is that you get to write the history books. Me - I'd rather
believe Stephen Gandy (although we should berate him for his underrating
OM's) and other neutrals/unofficials.
Forgive the pedantry - I was a PR flack once and now I'm a history teacher.
just can't help myself. Teaching junior philosophy next year too (I shoot,
therefore I am). Eeeeeeek!
Andrew