[OM] 80/4 macro and 90/2 macro bokeh comparison

Subject: [OM] 80/4 macro and 90/2 macro bokeh comparison
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:53:38 +0000
I have recently done a little comparison test between an auto version
Zuiko 80/4 macro and a 90/2 macro you might be interested in looking at.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1143478&a=8397561

You can guess the subject ;-)

I wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference in bokeh (quality of
out of focus areas) between these lenses.

The 80/4 has a 6 blade diaphragm while the 90/2 has 9 blades.  These
characteristics certainly seem to affect the highlights.  More subtly
though, if you look at the row of 'objects' immediately behind the area in
focus, you might notice that the shape and nature of the 'objects' is
fairly easy to ascertain with one lens and much less so with the other.

I tried to match the shots as much as possible but did not succeed
entirely.  The sun was less cloud obscured in the 80/4 shot so the
reflections are more pronounced giving a heightened impression of
contrast and resolution.  I also did not get the angle quite right or the
apparent image size.

Both lenses were set to the same aperture and for a 1:2 reproduction
ration.   I spot metered the same points.  I used an OM4-Ti on a Benbo
tripod and used the self timer for aperture and shutter pre-fire.  Film
was Fuji Reala.

There are a couple of other shots there which I think either illustrate
the difference bokeh and background can make or which I think just have
attractive and  pronounced bokeh which contributes to the overall image.

Giles