Re: [OM] [OT] Beware of the USPS - I'm getting scr**wed

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Beware of the USPS - I'm getting scr**wed
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:22:47 -0600
Cc: <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Just a quick post regarding my conversation with Canada Post
yesterday regarding insurance on parcels.

I was told that Canada Post doesn't provide insurance on their "small
packet" service (which is what I use) as a part of the cost.  If you want
insurance, you have to pay an extra CDN$9 (US$6) for "special
handling" which gets you CDN$100 insurance.  Additional insurance is
CDN$1 per CDN$100 value.

[INTERESTING SIDE NOTE:  They've *always* given me the insurance
as part of the cost (i.e. they've filed-out and handed me an insurance
receipt).  So, it looks like my favorite Posties have been giving me a
freebie!  However, my guess is that I'd have problems if I ever filed a
claim, so I'm going to have to "rethink" using their small packet service.
Maybe I'll let the buyer (who's paying the cost, anyway) decide if they
want the insurance (at the extra cost) or not.  Of course, if the buyer
says "no way" then the buyer is on his/her own if it gets lost.]

If you want want insurance as part of the cost, then you have to use the
Canada Post "parcel post" service.  Of course, that's more expensive
(rates are at http://www.canadapost.com for anyone that's interested).

If a parcel is lost, they *will* require some sort of "proof of value" but the
Posties told me that an e-Bay print out (or end of auction notice) will be
more than satisfactory, as well as your original receipt for the postage.
If you don't have some sort of "proof of value" then you can sign a
declaration.  I was told that Canada Post is "easy" about paying claims
(their words, exactly) but you're going to wait quite awhile and you might
get phone calls from three or 4 people confirming your story.  The
Postie said if your claim sounds "reasonable" (i.e. don't try and claim
your lost OM-10 it worth a million bucks!), you'll get your money
eventually.

Hope that's enlightening...

Regards,

Chris