Re: [OM] Red Eyes ????????????

Subject: Re: [OM] Red Eyes ????????????
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:01:39 -0400
clintonr-

Thanks for your comments.

I can certainly appreciate that the darker it is, the more prone to redeye
any individual subject may be. I can also accept that individuals may be
more or less prone to it than others. I know of one gentleman whose pupil
always seem to be constricted, so he is probably the least likely person to
present a redeye problem. I can surely understand the factor of imbibement.

Here's where I begin to lose my way. How would the aperture of my lens
affect the way my flash is reflected from my subject's retina?  If it's
dark, they're drunk, and I'm shooting with a flash extremely close to my
lens, won't that reflection reach my lens whether it's at 1.4 or 22? Now, of
course with my automatic flash, I'll have more power output if it's
cooperating with f22 than I will if it's f1.4 cognizant, but given that it's
dark, and they're drunk, and their pupils are wider than a basketball hoop,
won't the results be the same, as far as the redeye is concerned, for any
given individual in either case?

And isn't the introduction of the film speed variable just another way to
influence the variances in the lens aperture?

I hope I'm not just being dim here. I don't see the relationship between the
result of redeye and the filmspeed/aperture. But I'm certainly pondering it
more than ever! Thanks to all who've jumped in. I hope we're helping Luc
while working on me.....

Mickey