Re: [OM] How do YOU multi-spot...?

Subject: Re: [OM] How do YOU multi-spot...?
From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:35:35 -0400
Hello Thomas,
Years ago, the photojournalist Bill Pearce, wrote in the Leica Manual that
an easy way to approximate the Zone System in 35mm format is to spot meter
the highest value that you want to retain detail, say Zone VII or VIII, then
do the same for a desired Zone III or II area.  Then average the two and
fire away.  The -4 and -4T can do that for you very easily.  With a 2s
(which I have no experience of, BTW), you would have to take one reading,
remember it, take another reading, remember it, and do the averaging in your
head.  Possible, of course, but not recommended in rapidly changing
conditions.  I use this method in tricky situations.  Sometimes, I use an
even more simple trick.  I spot meter off my palm (pretty fish-belly white)
in the same light that's falling on the subject and "place" this value on
Zone VI.  Finally, I often simply spot an area that I want to come out as
Zone V.  Incident meters are great, but I suppose we're only talking about
spots (reflected light meters) here.  Admittedly, only the first of these
methods is taylor made for the -4/-4T, but I've been surprised at how often
it has saved my bacon (errr, exposure).  Incident meters and the palm trick
will give you accurate readings of the light that's there, but the
light/dark/average method seems to produce more negs (for me) that can be
successfully manipulated in the dark room later on to produce what I wanted
when I made the exposure.
John