Re: [OM] macro working

Subject: Re: [OM] macro working
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 11:18:12 -0700
Hi Eric:

<< I will be getting a 50mm f3.5 macro (any FS out there?) for taking
pics from books. (1) will a t20 on a cord hand-held work presuming I
stay away from the glare angle? >>

I did billions of rolls of this over the decades. Try and shoot at f/8
to f/11 with that lens. You'll get you best performance between those
stops.

You really need two lights, at 45 degree angles at either side of the
copy. I'd go for photofloods over flash. Auto flash exposures won't be
correct.  They will underexpose due to the white paper, or overexpose if
you are copying an illustration which is dark.  Much better to manually
meter with a grey card, then shoot at that exposure. Also note that
exposure will change with differences in your magnification ratio (due
to "bellows" effect), which is another argument for grey card manual
metering.

You can get by for years (or decades) with using a reversed tripod - I'm
still looking for a bargain in a copy stand. If you have a chrome legged
tripod, rig up a covering for the legs to prevent reflections from your
lights. I used old jeans material sewed into tubes.

Your 2S is a great body choice for this work. Forget a cable release and
use the self timer. You'll get pre closing of the diaphragm and mirror
lockup (we have coined the term "mirror and diaphragm prefire") about
10-12 seconds prior to exposure. The wait will increase the time it
takes to do the job, BUT the jump in image quality through reduced
vibration will be most significant.  I used to use a mirror locked up
OM-1 with a Winder 2 and a cable release with 4 sec exposures.  What a
rickety combo that was.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV