Re: [OM] Compact camera with super-wide 21 mm lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Compact camera with super-wide 21 mm lens
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:16:52 +0200
Gary Reese wrote:

> I fear the 21mm model will have very
> pronounced vignetting - the lens is just too close to the film on these
> ulta-thin cameras.

This will not be an "el cheapo" camera, so optical quality might be
appropriated.

>It is also worth noting that USA-based buyers won't
> see any Ricoh officially imported.

I, have heard that Ricoh USA is now digital only. Is it dificult for
Ricoh USA to sell high price, high quality cameras?

> For a really interesting new optical design from Canon, check out their
> Japanese WWW site (incl. the English version) for the Photokina
> announcement. It uses what looks to a layman like a pair of matched
> fresnel lenses (the patterned surfaces face each other) to dramatically
> reduce the length of EOS System EF telephoto lenses.

I guess it's an GRIN, gradual index lens. On earlier occasions,
Olympus (and others) had shown prototypes of such lenses as well.
Olympus GRIN lens was an 85mm/1.4 lens. <drool>

> OM Content: Anyone know if the IS series panoramic adapter fits into an
> OM body? How about one from a different manufacturer? With automated
> photo processing machines now returning super wide prints from any frame
> with panoramic masking, it seems appropriate to convert an OM body to
> panoramic use.

The panoramic adapter I have is called scissors and is compatible with
models of all manufactors.

Regards

Richard