Re: [OM] Found the Aluminum Case

Subject: Re: [OM] Found the Aluminum Case
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 01:32:08 -0700 (PDT)
Susan Steele wrote:
(snip). . . Do you guys fill up a wondrously heavy magni-case and
really lug it around? Or do you keep a case like this aluminum one on
the trunk and work out of the car more? Any advise would help as i
often feel like pitching it all over a cliff!
Susan,

I once had a similar dilemma. I used to try to carry all my gear around
with me and it was never very much. I rationalized my approach after
getting tired of lugging stuff around, especially since some of the OM
system's greatest attractions to me are its small size, light weight
and general portability, and after realizing that I hardly ever used
some items.

I once owned an aluminium case but found it was too awkward and bulky
and I was afraid of attracting the attention of thieves. I changed to
using bags - very ordinary bags but good enough for the job. I have a
fairly large bag that I got cheaply, years ago in K-Mart, Warriewood
(Sydney, Australia) and another much smaller one I got cheaply from
Jessops, Wolverhampton, on my visit to the UK last June.

My total OM inventory is:
OM-2S and OM-2N bodies, with carrying straps
Zuiko 35-70/4 zoom lens
Zuiko 21/3.5, 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 fixed lenses
Vivitar 70-210 zoom lens
Winder 2
T-32 flash + remote cord
Slik U6000 tripod (a mistake!)
Cable release
Circular polarizer
Various UV, skylight and yellow filters and a couple of step-up rings.

The 2N body is there mainly as a back-up for the 2S, although I may
sometimes have a different type of film in it too.  After owning my
Winder 2 for 7 years, I've come to realise that I have no real use for
it. It's just part of my Oly collection. The T-32 is all the flash I
expect to need, in terms of power, although I'd like to own a smaller
unit for convenience on occasions.  The Vivitar zoom gets relatively
little use because I don't like the way the lens body wobbles and the
zoom creeps if the camera is more than a few degrees from the
horizontal.

If I go anywhere by car, I take all my gear and both bags, but I put
into the small one the gear I most expect to use that day. I still have
all the other gear in the large bag, in case I need it, but I only like
to carry the small bag when walking about.

My typical load in the small bag would be the 21/3.5, 50/1.4 and
100/2.8 plus the T-32 and the OM-2S with the 28/2.8 lens attached to
it, since this is the lens I use most. If I want to travel lighter
still, I carry the 2S around my neck with the 28/2.8 (or sometimes the
35-70/4 zoom, but I prefer prime lenses to zooms in general) and leave
all the other stuff behind.

My 2 cents (approximately 170 Indonesian rupiah).

Regards,

=====
Ray