Re: [OM] Re Infrared images

Subject: Re: [OM] Re Infrared images
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:20:51 -0700
Finally, I am assuming that IR film acts in a fashion similar to the real-time sensors.

I think that's where the trouble starts, Chris.

The basic operation of ANY sensing medium depends on a differential in energy levels. Chemistry-based film of all kinds, including IR, is carefully designed so that it does not self-expose (well, too much) if placed on the dashboard of a closed-up car in the sun all day. Thus it cannot be used to sense hot objects, or it would be impossible to economically ship and store.

The sort of detectors you referred to are artificially cooled during operation so there is sufficient differential between their ambient condition and the condition they are detecting. A detector that is at 20 degrees C simply doesn't have enough energy differential to detect human skin that is only at 30 degrees C.

Those "night vision" goggles you see in the movies and TV? They contain IR illuminators. In effect, they shine invisible near-IR light on the scene, and then detect its reflection. They DO NOT sense the heat of human bodies.

Well, gotta go. UPS just delivered a package that is sitting in the sun on my porch, smoking as though there were dry ice inside -- it must be that new thermal IR film I ordered... hope I can expose it before my body temperature does... :-)

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>