RE: [OM] Beating a Dead Horse (Not Animal Rights)

Subject: RE: [OM] Beating a Dead Horse (Not Animal Rights)
From: "John J. Gettis" <jgettis81@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 21:39:30 -0700
With the exception of a few E-6 chromes, they will do better than most, but
not all C-41 color negative.  There are a few of them that will archive
well, just under that of the Ektachromes, down to about that of Fujichrome
(some are no longer made!):
  Kodak VPS:         ~80 years
  Kodak Ektar 1000:  ~74 years
  Kodak Gold 400:    ~65 years (amazing!)

Other C-41's start out about the same as Velvia and go down from there:
  Fuji normal neg films:  ~48 years
  Konica 100:             ~41 years
  Kodak VR films:         ~41 years
  Kodak Ektar 25:         ~33 years
  Fuji Reala:             ~31 years
  Kodak Gold 100:         ~31 years
  Kodak Vericolor HC:     ~31 years
  Agfa various:           ~28 years
  Kodak VPL:              ~11 years

I have some doubts about the printing of any color neg film down the line.
The negs from the first photos I took in the early 70's ( old C-22 process)
which I am told cannot be printed due to either color shift or because when
they changed the color of the orange mask and  are not compatible with
today's printers.   I also have some negs that came from about 10-15 years
ago shot on 120 VPS and vpsII that I am told are starting to have enough
color shift to make them difficult to print.  They where stored in glassine
envelopes and in a air-conditioned building in a metal filing cabinet.  The
only thing that may change all this is the ability to scan or have scanned
the negs and then do color corrections in the computer.  And even that is
not fool proof as there is limit to how much you can color correct if the
color you want is just not there.  Just my opinion  John Gettis