Re: [OM] Beating a Dead Horse (Not Animal Rights)

Subject: Re: [OM] Beating a Dead Horse (Not Animal Rights)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 23:39:43 GMT
Good question - one which I myself have asked and explored - with no simple answer.

The advice of folks I respect for their expertise leads me to conclude that there remain the three familiar (color) films:

1. Kodachrome for best *dark storage* archival properties;

2. Most E6 process slide films for surprisingly good *light storage* or displayed archival properties;

3. Certain C41 negative films for maximum latitude, with the trade-off being shorter archival properties.

For now I'm continuing to shoot Kodachrome for work I consider to be of long term significance. Meanwhile, I'm exploring various E6 films for one with superior scanning properties and more generous latitude. So far that's looking like Fuji Astia or Provia (100).

I'll keep shooting negative films for much of my work because what I shot 20 years ago still looks good.

Lex
===

From: "Franklin A. Berryman" <rumford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 16:52:02 -0500

I have difficulty seeing myself purchasing a digital camera and expect to
continue along in my old ways.  I would rather shoot film now and have it
knowing that the technology will eventually be able to extract the 18
megapixels or whatever film is capable of now, than shoot digital images at 3
megapixels now and be stuck with them forever.

So the question is do I shoot slide film or print film? Which is best at being scanned? What is the best way of transferring the images from film to digital short of spending $1000 to $1500 on a scanner that will be outdated before I
can transfer the "best of"  my existing images to disks.

The way I used to shoot was to take alot of Kodachome 25 (there was more light
when I was younger than there is now I guess), save the best and pitch the
rest. Is a viable alternative to continue doing this and when I have a hundred
or so ship them off to a service to be transferred to CD.  Would a better
alternative be to send them a roll at a time to Kodak (or Fuji) for processing
and having them returned with the digital images being posted on the web.

Life is so complicated and I'd like a K.I.S.S. way out of the morass.

You get bonus points if you point out what is most cost effective.