Re: [OM] OT - OK, I posted the vette pics, as requested

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - OK, I posted the vette pics, as requested
From: Mike Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:20:33 -0700
Volkhart wrote:

<snip> but the TT sure is the ugliest set of wheels <snip>

        In this day of "more of the same" I am pleased to see a little
diversity.  But we must all remember that ugly is only skin deep, what
counts is how a machine does its job, form follows function as they say.
        Some of my favorite cars have been considered ugly or worse i.e.. Lotus
Super Seven, Renault R5, Merkur XR4Ti, BMW "M" Coupe to name but a few,
but they all fill their own niche rather well.  When I was younger (late
60's early 70's) cars all had their own "look".  It was true also for
cameras, but today, take the paint off a wonder brick's plastic housing
(or a cars emblems) and who can tell them a part.  The unique mix of
features and size  was one of the single most important factors in my
decision to buy an OM-1.  It takes a skilled engineer or designer to
come up with new and fresh ideas that allow the form a machine takes to
also be appealing.  But there's the rub, appealing to who?

Mike Butler
Dublin, California