[OM] Re: OT new CC technology - was out of date battery ...

Subject: [OM] Re: OT new CC technology - was out of date battery ...
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:01:30 +0000
I thought some might be interested in this OT info if they are in the
habit of using their CC to purchase on-topic OM goodies or supplies for
same.

The bank I use here in Ireland has announced a new 'Virtual' CC.  They
give you a password protected piece of software which you keep on your PC.
When you want to make a CC transaction (Visa) the software generates a
one-time CC number which you email, mumble over the phone or whatever to
the merchant you are dealing with.  This CC number is valid for a single
transaction.

They don't exactly say so but I assume that if the merchant checks the
number he gets an affirmative credit rating but if someone else tries to
use that number subsequent to the first transaction the second merchant
will get a negative response to a CC check.

This system has apparently been accepted and integrated into Visa's
international clearing and settlement system.

The developer of the technology is apparently an Irish company called
Orbiscom.

In keeping with the new subject matter of this list - won't the CAR hire
companies squirm when someone hires a car on such a temporary CC number
but then they can't bill them an extra amount,  once the car is returned,
for some spurious reason ;-)

Giles

Nick Taylor