Re[2]: [OM] What to buy ??

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] What to buy ??
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:31:32 +1100
As an occasional high school teacher of photography I would prefer than any
youth starts with a manual camera - not necessarily a K1000! The suggestion
of the OM2000 was good - if parochial (it's a Cosina, mate!)
I have no experience of autofocus Nikon but some of EOS. The Nikon/Canon
comparison here is not good - the 35-80 lens in both brands is the bottom
of the very deep barrel! I took apart a Canon 35-80 once - it's a toy and
the images are poor. I assume the Nikon is the same - they made cheap
lenses because dealers kept selling their bodies with Sigma and Tamron
lenses and they had to compete. The Canon 28-90 (? I thought 28-85  or
28-105) is a better lens and the equivalent Nikon lens would bring the F60
kit up to a similar price.
He seems to be interested in shooting subjects that aren't moving too fast
(except perhaps his girlfriend!) A manual focus camera seems a better
option methinks. Persuade a dealer to let him shoot a roll with a good
second hand Nikon (FM, etc.) or Canon (A-1, AE-1 or similar). There are
serious bargains to be had in old Canon lenses as they changed the mount
when they went autofocus.
Oh, God - this heresy, isn't it. How about a nice OM40 (OMPC) - saw a nice
one the other day for less than GBP100 - it's black and looks damn cool.
Andrew