Re: [OM] What to buy ??

Subject: Re: [OM] What to buy ??
From: ZuikoholicRI@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:10:14 EDT
In a message dated 09/19/2000 9:36:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Help ?
>  My son is about to buy a camera.
>  He as only these three choice's.
>  Which would U buy ??
>  Olympus is-200 with extender to 160mm  (£279)
>  Cannon eos 300 with 28mm to 90mm       (£369)
>  Nikon F60 with 35mm to 80mm            (£199)
>  I asked him what he thought was most important
>  and he said exposure accuracy.

Which would I buy? Why the IS-200 of course, but then this IS an Olympus
list...

What kind of photography does your son want to do? I don't think exposure
accuracy would be an issue with any of these cameras. The Olympus does offer
spot metering, which is a great learning tool. The others might as well, I'm
not sure.

There is probably a bigger difference among these choices in regards to lens
(image) quality. The Canon and Nikon zooms listed are, I believe, "kit" zooms
of marginal quality. The lens on the Olympus will probably give better
results. On the other hand, the Nikon and Canon allow you to interchange
lenses, and there are a number of very high quality lenses available for
these cameras. The mentioned zooms, unfortunately, aren't among those.

Why are these the only three choices? If exposure accuracy is important
something like an OM2000, which also offers spot metering, perhaps coupled
with a decent example of the Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5 (NOT the 35-70/3.5-4.8)
would be a good choice - inexpensive, small, light, high quality images.

Hope this helps...

Paul Schings