Re: [OM] What to buy ??

Subject: Re: [OM] What to buy ??
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:32:53 -0700
In a message dated 9/19/00 Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< I was playing with a friend's IS-200 this weekend, and I couldn't
find any
provision for exposure compensation or manual SS.  This was a bit
disturbing, at least for me.  It had full auto and various programs
though. >>

You're right. One must got with the single digit (US models, 4 digit
overseas I gather) versions to get full manual control. On my IS-10
(which languishes on a shelf as it was replaced with an eBay bargain
IS-2) there is a "shift" where you can move the shutter speed/aperature
up/down but you couldn't really control exposure manually per say. Okay
for a P&S but not okay for serious creativity.

That said, the IS-3 is sweet and really is deserving of a serious look.
I'm remiss in getting my most recent scanning done for my site (and one
couldn't tell over the web anyway) but some shots I got in pit lane with
the IS-2 look pretty much as sharp through an 8X loupe as shots taken
with me new treasure, the Tamron 80-200/2.8, I was recently raving
about.

I wish Olympus did a "pro series" of IS cameras with metal bodies but I
suppose the price would be so high that one could buy 2 or 3 of the
plastic ones for one metal one.

If the decision is really between those three cameras I see no reason to
not include the IS-200 for just taking pictures. If your son wants to
really learn photography something like an OM-1 and a hand held light
meter is a better way to "learn" IMO. Cheaper too.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com