Re: [OM] New lens tests (Tamron 28-105)

Subject: Re: [OM] New lens tests (Tamron 28-105)
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:07:48 -0400
Interesting comments. . . .

I had pretty good results with my Tamron SP 28-105/2.8. Your comment on the construction is very true. Lots of polycarbonate vs the metal in my 35-80/2.8 Zuiko. I didn't mind the quick focusing ring, although the ring itself was way too thin. It's obvious that this is an autofocus-designed lens first and a manual focus lens a distant second. You just have to get used to the feel though. Yes, it didn't snap into focus like many other lenses, including the 35-80/2.8 Zuiko.

OTOH, I didn't have the problem that you describe with having to tap the focusing ring or the loud auto-diaphragm. Hmmm. . . QC issues??

I thought the image quality was very, very nice. Just about up there with my best lenses. The slides and prints always seemed to "pop". I don't do technical testing however, only my seat-of-the-pants evaluations. I'll leave that up to you Gary.

I especially liked the focal length range, but these days, you have to give up something, and I guess size considerations lost out here.

OK, here's the question you all should ask. Why don't I still have it? Well. . . it was just too big for me. Even though I have big hands, I found the diameter to be a bit too much. Also when you zoomed out to 105mm, the lens really got intimidating. I guess that I'm too used to the svelte OM-System Zuiko, Leica M, and Voigtlander screw-mount lenses to deal with a "real" wide-range zoom <bg>. Maybe that's why I don't own one of the "modern" autofocus SLR's??

Skip