[OM] New lens tests

Subject: [OM] New lens tests
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:41:41 -0700
For anyone who can stand wading through the bloated HTML code, I added
the following new data to:
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

additional OM-4T based tests for the 24mm f/2 Zuiko, 40mm f/2 Zuiko,
85mm f/2 Zuiko, 100mm f/2.8 Zuiko, 100-200mm f/5 Zuiko, 85-250mm f/5
Zuiko, 50-250mm f/5 Zuiko and new tests for the Tamron SP 28-105mm
f/2.8, Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 and f/2 and the Minolta MD 45mm f/2
Rokkor-X

Hopefully the HTML code will get cut to 1/4th its present size and this
thing will eventually load in a reasonable period of time.

Some of these tests were recently posted to the list, most notably the
24mm f/2

I think the test of the US$800+ Tamron SP 28-105mm f/2.8 might be
particularly interesting to folks. I was underwhelmed with the lens. It
is very much constructed like the Tamron 28-200mm Super we see millions
of on AF SLR's - so it's plastic look is a FAR CRY from a 35-80mm f/2.8
Zuiko's construction. The focusing rotation is very short, thus the
smallest movement of the focusing ring will throw the focus off.
Conversely, one has to tap the ring to get it to jump into focus. Not
good . . .  The wide open performance isn't good enough to really make
any significant improvement in focusing. I was hunting for focus even
with a Varimagnifinder and a 2-4 screen. OTOH, vignetting is well
controlled except at the extreme focal lengths when wide open. At f/8
and f/11, it provides image detail up with the best of lenses, but it
doesn't have evenness of performance across it's aperture range. It also
gives off a rather harsh and loud sound from its auto diaphragm
mechanism. I had the feel that using mirror and diaphagram prefire was
really helping the lens performance, but I didn't test without it. For
all of you who have wanted me to test more intermediate focal lengths on
zooms, this test should please you! I really burned up the film. I also
added the Popular Photography SQF data at 24x, for comparison.

The most improved lens test was for the 100-200mm f/5. I had a
particularly nice sample this time and it benefitted greatly from mirror
and diaphragm prefire.

There now remains very few lenses still needing mirror and diaphragm
prefire testing. I mostly have them in hand.  I just don't want to do
anymore tests for awhile.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV