Re: [OM] New lens tests

Subject: Re: [OM] New lens tests
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:26:14 EDT
In a message dated 9/14/00 2:59:52 AM Central Daylight Time,
pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I think the test of the US$800+ Tamron SP 28-105mm f/2.8 might be
>  particularly interesting to folks. I was underwhelmed with the lens. It
>  is very much constructed like the Tamron 28-200mm Super we see millions
>  of on AF SLR's - so it's plastic look is a FAR CRY from a 35-80mm f/2.8
>  Zuiko's construction. The focusing rotation is very short, thus the
>  smallest movement of the focusing ring will throw the focus off.
>  Conversely, one has to tap the ring to get it to jump into focus. Not
>  good . . .  The wide open performance isn't good enough to really make
>  any significant improvement in focusing. I was hunting for focus even
>  with a Varimagnifinder and a 2-4 screen.

Gary,
I experienced similar results with a Tamron 35-105 F2.8 zoom. Despite the
lens' speed, it was difficult to focus accurately even at the 105mm focal
length. It was far more difficult to focus than a Zuiko 100 F2.8. The Popular
Photography test results for this lens were spectacular, but consistent,
quality results were difficult to achieve due to the focusing problem. After
my very favorable experience with the Tamron 400 F4.0, this lens was a
disappointment. It is since been banished to a Nikon user. Adios.

Gary Faulkenberry