Re: [OM] What did I do wrong (superia 800 goof) ?

Subject: Re: [OM] What did I do wrong (superia 800 goof) ?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:06:56 GMT
Underexposing Superia X-tra 800 by 1/3 stop won't even be noticeable, on the negatives or prints. It has to be under or over at least a full stop to make a difference and even those shots will still make satisfactory prints. The stuff is very tolerant of under- and overexposure.

Are you certain your ASA dial was set properly? And the camera was metering properly? Correct batteries, and with full zip? Was there anything in the subject frame that could have fooled the meter - for example, a bright candle against a dark background or something similar that could have fooled the meter into underexposing the shots?

Was the film fresh?  Could it have been exposed to high heat?

The yellowish appearance and your description of the negatives being thin and grainy indicate the film was underexposed much more than a full stop. A custom lab may be able to salvage good prints from some of the negatives tho'. It's entirely possible the lab you used simply screwed up the prints. Worn out chemistry and dirty processing equipment can do that. I've even known of one-hour labs wiping the enlarging lens "clean" with a finger! Fortunately, tho', they seldom screw up the film processing.

While I've heard lots of recommendations for Supra, I wouldn't give up on Superia X-tra. For one thing, it's readily available. And it's always produced excellent results for me when I've done my part. I seldom even bother with 400 color print film anymore.

Lex
===