[OM] Zuiko 24/f2.8 compared to the Zuiko 28/f2.8

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 24/f2.8 compared to the Zuiko 28/f2.8
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:13:05 -0600
I was in my favorite used camera store last weekend, and while yakking
with my favorite sales person noticed a nice looking (dare I say
"minty"?!?!?) Zuiko 24/f.28 lens in the display case.  We got to
discussing this lens and I ended up taking it home to "test."

So, I took a series of shots with my OM-2 mounted on a tripod using
both the 24/f.28 and my 28/f.28.  I used Kirkland (Agfa) ISO 200 print
film (I don't own a projector) with the camera set on auto mode and
focused at infinity.  I took one shot for each lens at 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11,
16, and for the f2.8 22.

When the prints came back, I compared them using an Agfa 8X loupe.
Generally, the 28mm lens seems to be just a wee bit "sharper" (more
contrast?) than the 24mm, particularly at the higher end (f5.6 to 16).
The prints were 4x6 and the differences was hardly noticeable without
using the loupe.  But my guess is that it probably *would* be more
pronounced on 8x10 or larger prints

I've looked at the Gary Reese's Lens Test Site, and the info there
seems to confirm my general impression....  the 28mm is slightly
"better" than the 24mm although both lenses "scored" well (at least as I
read it).

So, here's what I'm wondering:

- Does anyone who owns both of these lenses wish to confirm (or refute)
my general impressions?

- Is the wider angle of view of the 24mm "worth" losing the additional
stop (f22) that I currently have on the 28mm lens?

- Most of my wide-angle shots have been outdoors, but I do
occassionally take indoor shots.  Is there a "best use" for each of these
lenses?

- I have "dickered" the salesperson down to trading me the 24mm for my
28mm and CDN$50 (about US$34 at the moment).  Would folks
consider this a "good" deal?

Aw, hell!  Maybe I just just buy it outright and have both????  (Grin!)

Comments and suggestions are welcome, but please keep it non-
technical if you can...  I'm an amateur, and not a bright one at that!  <G>

Regards,

Chris

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)