Re: [OM] Photo Catalog Programs

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Catalog Programs
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 17:04:09 -0700 (PDT)
>>>Also I have been scanning at high resolution, removing dust spots,
sharpening a little, and saving as a TIF file. Then I reduce it to web
size, sharpen a little more, and save it as a JPG. Last I have been
reducing it to a thumbnail and saving it as a GIF.<<<

Is there any particular reason you're saving the thumbs as gif? looky at

http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/johnlind/olympus/olympusgallery/olympusgframe.html

the thumbs are a little on the large size (imho) pixel wise (150x100), but
still ~5-6k in file size. with lesser dimensions and a bit higher
compression (no difference in image since can't tell detail at that small
a level), say 125x82 and ~4-5k, like so:

http://members.xoom.com/jahudson/

for yucks, i downloaded the Peggy's Cove thumb, and in PS5.5, saved it as
a gif, and it came out 6.25kb... doesn't look like it's saving space to
me. i don't think gif can be compressed and then they are limited only to
256 colors. that's my US$0.02 (or AU$0.03 or RS0.80 at current
exchange rates <g>

/Acer V
--
dum spiro, spero