Re: [OM] Underwater photography/ Shark Attacks FL (longish)

Subject: Re: [OM] Underwater photography/ Shark Attacks FL (longish)
From: Charles Packard <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:06:27 -0500
I saw a small item about this attack. It was a 60 year old man swimming in a
small bay on the Gulf side of St. Petersburg. The investigators could not
confirm that it was a shark that attacked the man. There are other fishes, such
as barracudas, that will attack swimmers. Listen, don't let these stories scare
you too much, a person has a much better chance of being struck by lightening
than being attacked by a shark. And it doesn't make any sense to me that
swimming in a bay is less risky than swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.
         Sorry, Lex but I was born and raised in Pensacola and while I may not
live
there any more I do visit frequently. And in all my years I saw more people in
the the Gulf than in the bay. And guess what, there are sharks in the bay as
well and actually more concentrated because of the bay bridges and piers.
I've also seen on many occasions over the years, sharks being caught off the
beach in the Gulf of Mexico, Pensacola bay and in the sound, every one was
either a nurse shark or sand shark, both bottom dwellers and mostly harmless,
unless you step on one. It is really a sad sight to witness. The only other
shark I've seen caught was a 3 1/2-4 foot (a meter or so to the metrically
inclined) hammer head. I have seen quite a few sharks over the years, me being
both in and out of the water, and they weren't bothering anybody.
 Your are correct in your safety advice ('cept maybe about dolphins) I would
like to add a couple of additional things to your list:
 5) Do not swim at night or early, early in the morning. Especially if the tide
is high. Little fish move in closer to shore then to feed and for safety and the
bigger fish follow. Crab and shrimp also move in closer to shore at night
attracting rays and nurse/sand sharks which feed on them.
 6) Do not wear jewelry or any shiny metal objects. Fish are attracted to the
flashes of sunlight reflecting off them.
 7) Avoid brightly colored (neon) swim wear. Some researchers feel that color
can attract fish.

As for an increase in the number of reported shark attacks maybe. But remember,
there are more people swimming today than 10-20 years ago, so the more likely
someone is going to have an encounter with one. Important Fact: Humans are not a
preferred food source.
          Fact: Most shark attacks aren't fatal, why because we are not what
sharks want to eat.

Lastly, remember you are their to have a good time!!! Be safe yes, but dont get
manic.

-Charles Packard
 Pensacolian till I die.
 Now if the dang tourists would just leave!!