Re: [OM] many thanks ...

Subject: Re: [OM] many thanks ...
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:24:00 -0500
At 09:46 AM 8/30/2000 +0200, Thomas you wrote in part:
>Of course, autofocus. And his point of view was, that
>basically manual focus was "impossible to do right anyways". I didn't say
>anything in a response to that, but in a break I took out my ever-present
>OM2s/p with the 85/2.0, and showed him. Anticipating a dark viewfinder
>(now, it was a 85mm...) he put the camera to his eye, and was "Wow, I
>can...I can see - and I can even focus here. I've fallen in love
>with this viewfinder, what was the camera again?"
>--thomas

I perpetrated the same thing on my Maxxum-toting brother, who claimed that
he was no longer able to do manual focus because of his eyes.  I forced him
to look through my OM-2S with 2-13 screen and he was flabbergasted.  The
irony is that he immediately investigated whether his viewfinder could be
brightened with a supplemental screen (of course, nothing doing because it
doesn't have the real sophistication of the OM metering system even though
it can shoot a dozen brackets in less than 4 seconds). So autofocus is
actually a mirage cure for aging eyes.  "Solves" a conspicuous part of the
problem but not perhaps the real, presenting problem. It sure sells
wonderbricks though.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA