Re: [OM] many thanks ...

Subject: Re: [OM] many thanks ...
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:19:06 -0700
Rueben:

You write:

<< does anyone have any "in use"
reports on the 24mm f2? I used to love my 24mm f2.8
but the wee bugger is now gone. How do they compare, anyone? >>

Did you check out the Olympus OM Lens Tests link I posted previously?
Here is a new 24mm f/2 test, not yet posted:

24mm f/2.0 Zuiko (multi-coated)
OM-4T with mirror and aperture prefire
Vignetting = D @ f/2, B- @ f/2.8, A- @ f/4 and thereafter
Distortion = moderate waveforming with strong barrel tendency
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2       C+        C
f/2.8     B-        C+
f/4       B+        B
f/5.6     A-        B+
f/8       B+        A-
f/11      B+        A-
f/16      B         B+
Notes: moderately low contrast at f/2, moderate contrast at f/2.8,
moderately high contrast at f/11 and high contrast at f/4 to f/8.

I continue to say you are getting nothing additional for that f/2
maximum aperture. Lenses which are a C+ grade or worse wide open result
in not being sure of the correct focus through the viewfinder, even with
a 2-4 screen on a OM-4T. The vignetting (light fall-off) at f/2 is
disgusting to my eye - an absolutely unacceptable image. There is
apparently some wide variation in performance among the 24mm f/2.8
varieties, as well as sample variations within variety. Get a keeper and
the f/2.8 can be an absolute darling of a lens.  I have both an SC and a
MC, since the MC is better (FOR ME) at the typical apertures for
available light and the SC for bright natural light apertures.

<< I'm also curious re: peoples' opinion of the 180mm f2.8. >>

Every infinity focusing OM System Zuiko is posted, with the exception of
the 350mm f/2.8  A new test of the 350mm is coming in the near future,
although owners lending their lenses for testing can block release of
test results for whatever reason they wish.

Eagle-eyed folks may have noticed that this flurry of tests are rounding
out the Zuikos which didn't previously have mirror and diaphragm prefire
based tests.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV