Re: [OM] Da UP eh

Subject: Re: [OM] Da UP eh
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:20:48 -0500
Gregg wrote:
>The last time I went to Whitehall was to attend a Corvette Rally.  They
>raced past the old rendering plant.

My paper-route took me down that street (Lake Street) and I'd have to hold
my schnozz everytime I passed the Tannery (not rendering plant).  Whenever
the rally came to town I'd have to bypass Lake Street for delivering
papers, but watching the timetrials was always a thrill.  I'd park myself
at the train tresle and watch the occasional 'vet take out a fender zinging
through that narrow underpass.  That whole section of lakeshore is now
marinas.  White Lake has a huge concentration of boat slips and is
continuing to become one of the hottest sailing spots in the country.  Of
course, when I was a kid (said with old man voice), we'd sail every chance
we got. Growing up in Whitehall was terrific as we had Holland, Grand Haven
and Muskegon to our south and Silver Lake (sand dunes), Ludington and
Manistee to the north.  In less than 90 minutes we could be in Traverse
City too.  On nice summer days I look out at all the corn and soybeans here
in Iowa and try remembering why I ever left Michigan.

>Good memories, if you don't think about shoveling the snow!

Oh, yeah.  That's right.  The snow.

In '79 I was delivering papers when it started snowing.  By the time I got
home an hour later there was already 9 inches on the ground and it didn't
stop until we got dumped on with 42 inches from that one storm.  Oh, and
then the wind started blowing.  It was a few days before we had school
again.  The snow drifts on the leaward side of buildings reached the roofs.

Ken Norton