Re: [OM] Re: (Greenish alleged) Provia 100F versus Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: (Greenish alleged) Provia 100F versus Kodachrome
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 09:53:38 -0500
At 01:53 AM 8/20/2000 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 8/19/00 1:45:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>> I've taken a look at your pictures and they do look somewhat greenish,
>>  however, as these are scans this can also partially be a scanner problem.
>>  Either way, the pics I've seen so far of my own didn't seem to have any
>>  green cast whatsoever (or I missed it completely): in my experience the
>>  colours look fine and very natural...
>
>I got a free copy of Kai's PhotoSoap 2 with my flatbed scanner and it has 9
>separate saturation controls for different colors. So you can saturate or
>desaturate any specific color. Do the high end photo softwares (read
>Photoshop 5) have this type of control?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Warren

Even Photoshop 4 had it.  Image > Adjust > Hue and Saturation, then select
the Edit dialogue and choose the color you want from the list (the default
is "Master", i.e., the whole color palette) and then further pin-point the
color with the eyedropper if necessary saturate or desaturate to taste.

Sometimes useful as well is the Channel Mixer (called something slightly
different in PS4) in which you can dial a certain amount of red into the
blue channel or dial out some green (and various similar permutations).
This helps a lot with out of gamut areas which otherwise print "off-key."

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA