Re: [OM] Re: Scanner woes and lack of them on Apple Mac

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Scanner woes and lack of them on Apple Mac
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:29:15 GMT
My only experience with a Mac so far has been setting up my mom's Color Classic, and with no prior Maxperience I was surprised at how simple it was to get the hang of. The only trick was learning the lingo - different terms for the same thing. And a few concepts are a bit different. I'd happily take an iMac DV, 'cept for that stupid mouse.

I've used PCs since Day One, only because it was necessary for work. I'm not a fan nor do I revile 'em - they could be worse. Regarding Windon't, I still use Win95 'cause I got fed up with the bugs and resource hogging of Win98.

OTOH, I've had zero problems configuring scanners (parallel port and USB) to work with the two PCs in our household. Yeah, I know about the potential problems with BIOS, IRQ, drivers, blah-blah-blah, but in many cases the real culprit is the company/person who put the machine together. The beauty (?) of the PC is the ability to make it into whatever you want - within reason.

But, ya gotta consider the big picture - sometimes it's better to choose components that are more industry-standard, even if it means sacrificing a bit of performance. And I'm not a big performance hog - my main PC is still a puny 90MHz Pentium with a mere 40MB RAM. Works fine for producing webworthy images, tho' I wouldn't want to tackle 20MB TIFFs with it. The other house PC is a 300MHz Pentium with 64MB RAM, but it lacks some of the sophisticated innards of the other, like a video card configurable for color calibration, etc. I'm never sure that images scanned and edited on it will look right to others. And, to make matters worse, the monitor went all greenish yesterday. Guess the blue gun went kaput.

OM content? Uhhh ... all the pix I've taken with my OM-1 and scanned into the PC look *really* great. Lame, I know, but the best I can come up with on short notice.

For any photographer who wants to share his/her images with the webworld, it's hard to beat the plug 'n' go (I ain't applying PNP to the Mac) convenience and overall standardization of the Mac. But ... and this is a big but ... first time computer owners still seem to have more problems getting a Mac (even the iMac) online than first time PC owners. Dunno why that is.

Lex
===