Re: [OM] Shipping costs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shipping costs ?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:05:23 +0100
Hilary Stone wrote:

> Keith
> Where do you get International Money Orders from in the UK now as the Post
> Office have stopped doing them?

Thanks for that, I didn't know - it's just saved me a fruitless trip to the
Post Office!

>I certainly find that sending small amounts
> of cash is fine but recently had a bad experience with a recorded letter
> the US being opened and a $100 dollar bill being removed. And you can't
> register mail to the US either. Western Union is an alternative I
sometimes
> use though not everybody likes it and it is fairly expensive.

The last one, in June this year, I bought from a Barclays Bank counter. I
paid a total of £129.02 for an IMO (no, not an opinion!) for $184. I think
the charge was £8 but they are insured against loss or misappropriation if
you send them by Recorded Delivery and keep the receipt.

Sending cash by Recorded Delivery though probably draws unwanted attention
to it. Maybe a card-stiffened envelope with Do Not Bend may be better, or
making it look like advertising mail as long as the recipient is forewarned
not to throw it away!

I've resolved to be more selective in my eBay bidding and to go only for US
sellers who accept Bidpay. Last night I bagged a Kiev 4 from such a seller -
unfortunately I also bid, by mistake, the same amount on another one from
the same seller in an auction that closes tomorrow. After wanting a Kiev for
years I may end up with two of them, but possibly at less than the cost of
one of them bought in the UK.

Regards
Keith Berry

PS. I've just 'won' an Oly Auto Bellows with DCR for £77 from a UK seller.
You don't see them in UK dealers' lists for much under £200.

PPS. My apologies to those who don't care to read about people's eBay
experiences. I used to be one of them!