[OM] Steam Railroad Excursion from St. Louis, MO to Hannibal, MO

Subject: [OM] Steam Railroad Excursion from St. Louis, MO to Hannibal, MO
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:56:40 -0500
All,

I thought I would share this event with you as a possible photo-op.  This
steam rail excursion is the sort of thing that doesn't happen very often,
so when an opportunity like this comes up, it shouldn't be missed.  Trip
dates are Sept. 30 and Oct. 1.  For further information, you can visit the
St. Louis chapter of the National Railways Historical Society's web site at
http://www.stlouisnrhs.org/trips.htm.  I have no connection with them, or
with the St. Louis Steam Train Association (the owners of the locomotive)
other than to say that they are some of the most hard-working folks I have
ever met.

I quote from the web site:  "EXPERIENCE THE THRILL OF A STEAM TRAIN! This
fall join us for the memorable sights and sounds of steamrailroading as the
St. Louis area's own steam locomotive, Frisco 1522, powers two all-day
round-trip excursions from St. Louis to Hannibal, Missouri. Built in 1926
for the St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad and restored in 1987, this is the
first public excursion for the 1522 since 1994. You'll travel on modern
Amtrak passenger cars or vintage private lounge cars to Hannibal, America's
Hometown and childhood home of America's favorite author, Mark Twain.

SEE THE GLORY OF MISSOURI IN AUTUMN: Join us on a scenic rail excursion
over a route which has had no regularly
scheduled passenger train service in more than 30 years. View the autumn
leaves as they burst into color and enjoy magnificent vistas as our train
follows the Mississippi River.

We journey from St. Louis, pass under the Gateway Arch and along the
riverfront. Near the Chain of Rocks we turn inland and
cross the Missouri River on the Bellefontaine Bridge, near the confluence
of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers.

The train races across the rich bottomland farms of St. Charles County
between the two rivers until we rejoin the Mississippi
River near Old Monroe. From there we follow the river for 65 miles to
Hannibal, passing below soaring limestone bluffs, through groves of
yellow-leafed cottonwoods and oaks and sweet gum trees with orange and red
leaves. We pass through historic river towns including Clarksville and
Louisiana, and we may see towboats and river barges being lifted through
the locks at the Clarksville and Saverton dams. We'll detrain on the
Hannibal riverfront within a few blocks of the historic sites. "

I plan on taking my father for the trip on one of the dates (most probably
Sept 30) and doing a photo-chase on the other day.  Mo. hwy. 79 parallels
the BNSF right-of-way for most of the distance from St. Peters, MO to
Hannibal, MO so there will be lots of opportunities to burn film in the
Olympii.

regards,

Mahlon