Re: [OM] Beware seduction by "The (Olympus) LIST"

Subject: Re: [OM] Beware seduction by "The (Olympus) LIST"
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 02:16:26 +0100
Dave Dougherty wrote:

> ...I too have answered the siren call of E bay and spent
> much moolah there.  I have become addicted to SPs and now own 3 with a 4th
on
> the way...

Cornering the market eh?
Spending time on eBay has been too expensive with UK telephone rates but
I've just signed up with an ISP who gives 4 hours Freephone time per day
until 30th October and I've found myself spending it scouring eBay lists.
Although I said a couple of weeks ago that I feel as though I have
sufficient Oly gear now, I took great interest in a 3.5/50mm macro Zuiko.
Armed with Skip Williams' spreadsheets, into which I squeezed a couple of
Sterling equivalent columns, I propped my eyes open to catch the close of
its auction at 3:18 am UK time. With 40 seconds to go,  and with the high
bid standing at $96, I bid $99, but lost it to someone bidding $102.50,
still well below the lowest price on Skip's list, and, suddenly wide awake
for the first time in two hours, I cursed myself for not having been in
thinking mode.
It's strange that going directly to ebayuk.com results in a "site under
construction" message, but it's accessible from clicking on "England" from
the main ebay.com. It's worth doing that for us here because it converts
prices to Sterling and closing times to BST.
I can foresee that using eBay will not only cause financial damage,
especially if PayPal fulfil their promise to go international this year, but
also seriously disrupt my sleep patterns - the next auction of interest
closes at 5.55 am BST.

Regards
Keith Berry