Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)

Subject: Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:18:11 EDT
In a message dated 8/04/2000 4:50:45 PM, dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I would like to learn to take advantage of the polarizing filter
though.  So maybe someone can explain the process of mounting the
filter quickly to me.  Thanks.
    -Dan >>

Dan:

In simple terms (the kind I appreciate), this is how it works. Buy a glass
polarizing filter to fit the lens or lenses you plan to use. If I recall them
correctly, the 49mm polarizer should fit the two zooms you plan to take and
the 28mm/f2.8 or 50mm/f1.8. Just screw the polarizing filter into the lens
filter ring as you would any other filter. It is made as a two piece unit:
the first piece screws securely into the filter ring; the outer piece is
movable and can be rotated. Simply look through the lens and rotate the outer
piece until you see the maximum effect. Meter as though the polarizer were
not even on the camera. Your meter will compensate. Then take your picture as
normal. The amount of light or reflection reduction will be more or less
depending upon the angle of the light rays striking the filter. You should
have no problem focusing with the filter attached. I've used a polarizing
filter for over 30 years and I've never had a problem focusing while using it.

Robert