[OM] Preserving developer

Subject: [OM] Preserving developer
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:48:23 +0100 (BST)
You may recall that a couple of months ago the subject of how to
preserve developer from atmospheric oxidation was discussed.  I
suggested at the time that butane gas would be a cheap and effective
solution to the problem, without being too hazardous, so long as you're
careful with it.

I'm pleased to report that this seems to have been one of my better
ideas, since I've had a half-full (an optimist, me!) bottle of ID-11
preserved in this way since then.  It wasn't half-full for the whole
time, as some of it has been used for its intended purpose.  There's
still no trace of colour in it, and it worked fine when I developed some
Delta 400 in it last week.

To recap, for the newcomers since then (and those with memories as poor
as mine): this method works because butane is not an oxidant but is much
more dense than air, so it sits on the top of the liquid.  It's also
fairly cheap and readily available without a license.

I don't recommend this for open-dish paper developers, though.
Especially not for any smokers on the list. ;)

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |