[OM] Re: Help on finding the right camera bag

Subject: [OM] Re: Help on finding the right camera bag
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:06:14 -0400
>Subject: [OM] Help on finding just the right bag....
>
>I am in search of the perfect camera bag.  As you can imagine, with my
>buying kits, I own a few, mostly junk.  I do own a very nice Tamrac 608 that
>I like and use a lot, and it's just right for many things.
>
>What I am looking for now is the 'always carrying it with me so it needs to
>be small and fit inside my suitcase and be light and sturdy' bag.

While I don't know what the 'perfect camera bag' would be, after using
everything from lunch coolers to backpacks to vests to dedicated jumbo
shoulder bags I've come to the conclusion that a hip pack may well be the
best compromise. I think that my next bag purchase will be a Tamrac 707
half moon hip pack in lightweight spectra cloth version. As far as
something that fits in your suitcase, don't forget that nearly any softside
nylon, cordura or cotton canvas bag, shoulder bag, bookbag, backpack, fanny
pack etc. can be made into a collapsible camera tote by adding
do-it-yourself foam inserts.

After being disappointed with the short lifespan and shoddy shoulder straps
of various cheapo soft side lunch coolers, I got an oversized Lowepro Nova
5. It's the largest in the Nova series, and for me, it's clearly too large
to comfortably carry for very long when fully loaded. It'll almost hold my
entire 2 body OM setup. (While Tom would probably need a tractor trailer or
Concorde jet to house his collection.) Anyway, there's a lot to be said for
not overburdening oneself, and after seeing it in action, I think that
there's a lot to be said for a hip pack that hinges away from one's bod.

Mike Swaim