Re: [OM] Response to question on third party lenses - further thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] Response to question on third party lenses - further thoughts
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:47:58 GMT
For the benefit of folks who haven't browsed that wonderful site maintained by Jeff Albro and Robert Monaghan (and why haven't you!), don't be put off or mislead by those prices.

What Robert has done here is to show what a bargain third party lenses are in today's economy by showing the effect of inflation on the original retail prices. No one in his right mind is going to pay a thousand bucks for a preset 135mm.

However you can routinely buy these lenses for $10-$25, a pittance, and well worth the risk. My Lentar 135/3.5 preset T-mount is one of the finest lenses of any kind I've ever had the privelege of using. Cost - a mere $15. I normally use it with my Can-not-an-OM-on T70s, which lack DOF preview, for portrait and even macro work, where it shines when combined with a generic 2x teleconverter stripped of optical elements to make an extension tube.

I also plan to buy a preset wide angle and experiment with incorporating it into a homebrewed shift adaptor mount, using plans adapted from those found elsewhere on the Albro/Monaghan site. The advantage to such lenses is that lacking projecting levers for automatic diaphragm control, adapting such lenses to various bodies is easier.

And if the project flops, well, I'm only out $10 or so.

Another project (i.e., lens butchering exercise) I'm currently working on involves stripping a crummy third party zoom of everything but the focusing and zoom helical tubes. I plan to install a Vivitar 10x close up diopter lens in the front as use this contraption as a single element soft focus portrait lens, similar to that used decades ago and one currently sold by Spiratone for $90. I figure I now have $15 worth of parts and $300 worth of aggravation invested in the project. I've discovered time passes more quickly and pleasantly if I work on the project only while watching bad horror movies and WCW Smackdown.

Lex
===