[OM] Quality of Zuiko single coated 50/1.4

Subject: [OM] Quality of Zuiko single coated 50/1.4
From: Erwin Voogt <erwin.voogt@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:42:45 +0200
Cc: ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx
Hi Ray,

A lot has been said about this lens already: quality varies between
different samples.
Here's a picture I have taken with my SC 50/1.4 wide open:

http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/thailand/waterpot.html

Coma is clearly visible on this image, however, it is exaggerated by the jpg
compression. The image is not very sharp, but this is mainly caused by a
long exposure time (probably 1/30) and the limited depth of field. Normally,
the center sharpness is OK, though the images are soft due to the coma.
Personally, I find my MC 35/2 not much better wide open, although it has a
better rating in Gary's lens test. The following image is taken with the
35/2 at F2:

http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/china/deqen2.html

Not much coma, but at F2 the SC 50/1.4 performs better too.
I have taken astronomy pictures with the 50/1.4 stopped down to F2.8 which
were excellent. I hope to upload these images to my site within a few weeks.
Conclusion: I'm quite happy with my SC 50/1.4. If I had to choose again I
would probably spend a few $'s extra for a modern one, but I don't find it
necessary to replace my old buddy.

Bye

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands