Re: [OM] Quality of Zuiko single coated 50/1.4

Subject: Re: [OM] Quality of Zuiko single coated 50/1.4
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:08:23 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to everyone for your contributions on this question. There seems
to be a mixture of opinion but, in most cases, some agreement that the
MC version is an improvement on the SC version. It was pointed out to
me, quite rightly, that most of Gary Reese's tests are carried out on
one or two samples that may not necessarily be representative of the
model in question. Interesting to read Gary's observation, too, that
the optical construction of the MC version of the 50/1.4 is different
to that of the SC version - it's not just a coating change. That
suggests that Zuiko was aware of the shortcomings and decided to go to
some effort and expense to fix them. Surely it would have been a lot
cheaper just to change the coating from SC to MC?

Anyway, perhaps I'm being too fussy about the whole thing. I'll give it
my best shot and try to see how good my lens really is. As a famous man
once said, "Ask not what Zuiko can do for you but what you can do for
Zuiko." [Not that that proves much; the same famous man also said, "Ich
bin ein Berliner! (= I am a sausage!)."]

Regards,