[OM] INFRARED FILM vs Focus

Subject: [OM] INFRARED FILM vs Focus
From: Erwin Voogt <erwin.voogt@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:42:49 +0200
Cc: DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx
Hi Dave,

> I am thinking about doing some infrared scenics.  A couple of thoughts
> concerns and questions to the group:

> 1.  As one has to use a dark red filter on the lens, an SLR doesn't lend
> itself well to this situation.  So I would use my Oly SP  w/42mm f 1.7
lens.

You can put a dark red or even "black" filter on the lens, but you have to
recalibrate the sensitivity of the light meter of the camera. The silicium
blue cell is not very sensitive to IR, so to compensate this you have to
increase the ASA setting on the camera.

> 2.  The SP does not have the index mark on the lens barrel for the shift
> necessary for Infrared focusing vs. Visible light.  However, due to the
short
> focal length of the SP lens and that I will be shooting at or near
infinity,
> does it matter?

At 5.6 and above there won't be a problem. The infinity point at IR is not
the
same as with visible light.

> 3.  Finally, when Kodak gives a film speed for infrared film is that to be

> interpreted as only sensitivity to the infrared lightwave and if so, do I
set
> the meter on the SP to the film speed or factor for the filter?

You have to experiment. The sensitivity depends on the filter you use.
See my postings of some days ago:

---------
Hi,

Two weeks ago I wrote:

----------
> Some years ago (1993) I experimented with Kodak's "high speed b/w infrared
> film".
> I used an OM4 + T20 flash with a complete black filter nr 87 in front of
> the T20 flash. With the camera set on ISO 3200 TTL exposure appeared to be
> fine (still a little bit too light, but I couldn't find the ISO 6400
> setting...)
> With the filter taped on the flash, you can take pictures in total
> darkness without seeing the flash light. I have taken pictures from people
> taken astronomy pictures, with no influence at all on the astropics and
> without people having any clue about how I did take the pictures!
> Very funny. A sort of 007 style of photography.
---------

I searched my "archive" this week and scanned two infrared pictures.
You can find them at: http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/infrared.html
I also uploaded some new macro&nature pictures for the main site.
---------

Bye,

Erwin Voogt