Re: [OM] In need of a second OM Body + more accurate metering....

Subject: Re: [OM] In need of a second OM Body + more accurate metering....
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:33:50 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 20:25:04 +1000, Terry and Tracey wrote:

>I have the 1n and 4Ti. I've used the 4Ti twice, the 1n is used normally.
>Spot meter? Meter the palm of your hand and open one stop. Accuracy? You are
>hard up to notice a difference of 1/3 stop. Any you know about your photos.

I also have both a 1n and a couple of  4Ts. Love the 1n, would never
take a thing away from it.

That said, metering your hand is hardly spot metering. What do you do
when the object you want to spot meter is 10 yds away? 100yds, a
mile? How do you do spot averaging?

On your other point, 1/3 stop doesn't mean a lot for print film, but
for transparencies (or IR film), 1/3 stop can be the difference
between an acceptable shot and a shot that gets EVERYTHING right.
Even on proint film, 2/3 stop can make a world of difference for
contrast and saturation. One of my favorite techniques for sports
photography is to overexpose rated ASA by 2/3 stop - makes players
really jump off the film.

The 4t also has a host of other advantages - aperture and mirror
pre-fire, 1/2000 shutter speed, 2 series and Beattie screens, TTL
flash, auto mode, OTF metering, etc, etc, etc.

SO while I'd be hard pressed to criticize the OM-1 (I've had mine for
19 years!), to compare match needle metering and manual exposure to
teh OM-4T's multi-spot metering and auto exposure just doesn't hold
water.

BBB

-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx