Re: [OM] fwd: Dodgital Cameras etc

Subject: Re: [OM] fwd: Dodgital Cameras etc
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:23:47 +0800

Tom Scales wrote:
> For a 13x19, which I print a lot,
>
> 13*240=3120
> 19*240=4560
>
> So, for excellent 81/2x11 (or A4), the 2700 dpi scanners do a great job.
> For 13x19, a 4000dpi scanner makes a big difference.  The challenge for the
> 19inch dimension and a 2700 dpi scanner is 2700/19=142dpi, which is very
> marginal for the biggest prints.

It seems to be something wrong with your calculation, 2700dip for 35mm
frame should be around 2700x35/24.5=3857 and 3857/19=203dpi.

> As for JPG, I don't believe it is a mathematical representation, but I could
> be wrong. Regardless, it is lossy, so even the highest quality won't match a
> TIF.  I scan 35mm negs into TIF, at around 62MB per TIF.  Even at 90%
> quality (which is very high), JPG's are around 6MB still.  Of course,
> resizing smaller and less quality for the web makes them manageable, but not
> what I would print from.  Think about it, a 36 exposure roll, at 60Mb per
> pic takes over 2GB.

For JPEG, usually a level 9 in Photoshop will do a quite good job. If
you still not satisfy, set it to 10. With a 60MB file I think it will
be around 10MB-12MB, I bet you can't see the different with your Epson
print. I have output a lot of slides with my Polaroid Propalette 8000
film recorder, I'm quite satisfy with JPEG as long as you don't set
the compression level too low. It save a lot of space even you own a
CD writer and also the time to process them.

C.H.Ling