Re: [OM] fwd: Dodgital Cameras etc

Subject: Re: [OM] fwd: Dodgital Cameras etc
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:49:50 -0500
The key, I believe is whether you want a screen resolution (what you were
viewing) versus printing.  You need a heck of a lot more pixels to print it
in a quality that doesn't show the pixels.

In my experience, with both an Alps Dye-sub printer and the Epson 1270
printer, around 240dpi is required for a decent print.  I've read of this as
the magic number, and my experience has proven it to be true.

Simple math for an 8 1/2 x 11 (what the sheets come in), says;

8.5*240 = 2040
11*240  = 2640

For a 13x19, which I print a lot,

13*240=3120
19*240=4560

So, for excellent 81/2x11 (or A4), the 2700 dpi scanners do a great job.
For 13x19, a 4000dpi scanner makes a big difference.  The challenge for the
19inch dimension and a 2700 dpi scanner is 2700/19=142dpi, which is very
marginal for the biggest prints.

As for JPG, I don't believe it is a mathematical representation, but I could
be wrong. Regardless, it is lossy, so even the highest quality won't match a
TIF.  I scan 35mm negs into TIF, at around 62MB per TIF.  Even at 90%
quality (which is very high), JPG's are around 6MB still.  Of course,
resizing smaller and less quality for the web makes them manageable, but not
what I would print from.  Think about it, a 36 exposure roll, at 60Mb per
pic takes over 2GB.

My thoughts.

Tom