Re: [OM] Lens site down

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens site down
From: "Gregg" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 23:41:43 -0400
Thanks Robert and Konrad for the advice.  I don't believe my problems have
to do with the installation of the hard drive or with FAT files because the
problems started before I installed the drive (the CD-ROM quit on IDE 2).
Now the CD-ROM won't work on IDE 1 anymore but the new hard drive works ok.
My system regularly (2-3X a day) locks up and I have to reboot and scan disk
c.  I have deleted so many pieces of files I am not sure which programs are
even complete anymore.  I have had regestry problems for a while now but
have not wanted to loose the computer for a week or so to get everything
straightened out.  Guess I will have to bite the bullet and get things
fixed.

Gregg

> In a message dated 7/02/2000 3:51:58 PM, giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << I am planning on doing a reformat and reinstall of Windoze 95 just as
soon

> as I can get the IDE working and get my CD-ROM to work for the install.  I
>
> was able to save my C drive to a larger and partitioned new hard drive.
>
>  >>

> Gregg, I have a question for you. Did you install a larger hard drive just
> prior to having all these problems? Did you perhaps format it as a FAT 32
> partition? If so, I have a caveat for you and all you other Windoze OMers.
> (OM content, right?).  ;-)  I know many of you need lots of HD storage
space
> and may be switching to larger capacity HDs in the future.
>
> I learned this one the hard way as I was building my Windoze computer. I
> wanted LOTS of HD space so I bought a 23.6 GB hard drive. I thought I
would
> take advantage of the Windows98SE FAT 32 storage efficiency, so I
formatted
> it as a FAT 32 partition.
>
> I used a work computer and downloaded some needed drivers to a disk. To my
> chagrin, I could not open the files. My computer simply would not
recognize
> the existence of the exe. files. The other computer opened them with no
> problem. After pulling my hair out for several hours trying to figure out
the
> difference between the two computers, I had a thought. The other HD was
> formatted as a FAT 16 disk.
>
> So, I reformatted my hard drive. I made a partition C, the largest allowed
> for a FAT 16 partition, and formatted it as FAT 16. Then I made another
> partition, "D," with the remaining HD space and formatted that as Fat 32.
> That allowed me to use the entire 23.6 GB. I put all the Windows operating
> stuff and a few smaller programs on "C" drive and the remainder on "D"
drive.
> That way I get to use the FAT 32 storage efficiency on the bulk of my HD.
And