Re: [OM] Lens site down

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens site down
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 17:56:53 EDT
In a message dated 7/02/2000 3:51:58 PM, giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I am planning on doing a reformat and reinstall of Windoze 95 just as soon

as I can get the IDE working and get my CD-ROM to work for the install.  I

was able to save my C drive to a larger and partitioned new hard drive.

Gregg, I have a question for you. Did you install a larger hard drive just
prior to having all these problems? Did you perhaps format it as a FAT 32
partition? If so, I have a caveat for you and all you other Windoze OMers.
(OM content, right?).  ;-)  I know many of you need lots of HD storage space
and may be switching to larger capacity HDs in the future.

I learned this one the hard way as I was building my Windoze computer. I
wanted LOTS of HD space so I bought a 23.6 GB hard drive. I thought I would
take advantage of the Windows98SE FAT 32 storage efficiency, so I formatted
it as a FAT 32 partition.

I used a work computer and downloaded some needed drivers to a disk. To my
chagrin, I could not open the files. My computer simply would not recognize
the existence of the exe. files. The other computer opened them with no
problem. After pulling my hair out for several hours trying to figure out the
difference between the two computers, I had a thought. The other HD was
formatted as a FAT 16 disk.

So, I reformatted my hard drive. I made a partition C, the largest allowed
for a FAT 16 partition, and formatted it as FAT 16. Then I made another
partition, "D," with the remaining HD space and formatted that as Fat 32.
That allowed me to use the entire 23.6 GB. I put all the Windows operating
stuff and a few smaller programs on "C" drive and the remainder on "D" drive.
That way I get to use the FAT 32 storage efficiency on the bulk of my HD. And
-- voila -- all the programs which could not be recognized and/or opened when
I used the FAT 32 partition now work perfectly on the FAT 16 "C" drive.

The same thing happened with a friend. He converted his laptop HD with
Windows98 to Fat 32 and could not open several driver files. He called his
Tech Support line and found new drivers, downloaded them, and -- same thing.
He happened to mention it to me and I shared my experience. He reformatted
his HD as FAT 16 and he could open all the drivers again.

Don't know as this fits your problem, or if you can even use FAT 32 files
with Windows95, but it may help some other OMer get ready to store his/her
fabulous OM pictures. (More OM content.)  <g>

Robert