[OM] Oly Camera History Page added to e-SIF

Subject: [OM] Oly Camera History Page added to e-SIF
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 23:40:28 +0200
Yes dear Zuiks, Zuikettes and C*pyrighters,

I've just uploaded an initial version of an addition to the e-SIF: the
Olympus Camera History Page. This page was created with the purpose to put
the OM line in its historical content, and describes (or will describe) the
various model lines from the very first Semi-Olympus (1936) untill the
current Camedia line. This initial version covers the first half untill &
including the OM line. It is a synopsis page that doesn't go into much
detail about the various models - only the main characteristics of the
various series/camera lines are described.

Still it may answer some old questions, like the one (Schloss,'97) regarding
the Olympus Ace: the Ace and Ace-E were Leica-M rangefinder clones from 1961
with four exchangeable lenses: 35mm/F2.8, 45mm/F2.8, 80mm/F4 and 80mm/F5.6.
Question for me however remains why this camera was only available in 1961.
Did Leica complain because the Ace used the characters A, c and e that could
also be found in lEiCA? ;)
Time for another conspiracy theory. (Could have sworn that last thursday I
saw men in orange suits) ;)

Last week I aquired a new source of information that helped me to compile
this page - a historical Olympus catalogue from CIBAF, a Dutch trade
organisation for the Dutch photo bussiness that compiles sales info for most
brands.
Their historical catalogues cover the period 1960-1999 and are available for
the big ones (OlyNikoCanoPentaRolLeic).
- Hehe, no M*n*lt*. ;)

The url is
http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/camhistory/camhistory.htm
and it's linked to the main e-SIF page. This page will be updated soon and
maybe even frequently.

"C*pyright contents: none. Unless you copy my rights. Do you copy? Right."

hnz