Re: [OM] Newbie comments

Subject: Re: [OM] Newbie comments
From: Sean Chan <Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:45:41 +0900
Personally, I wouldn't get new Olympus OM SLR's nor new Zuiko's. But
I'd hang around waiting for an excellent or mint 2nd hand. In fact,
my complete OM system's 2nd hand.

With 2nd hand OM equipment, Australia is definitely cheaper than in
Tokyo. In fact, I'm getting the impression that Aust. cheaper than
US too. Don't know why - maybe not many Aussies value their OM gear.

My 2 Yen worth,
Sean

Lex Jenkins wrote:

> Ellis, I wouldn't worry about getting into the OM system.  New Olympus SLRs
> and lenses *are* still available.  My main gear is Canon FD and those bodies
> and lenses have been out of production for many years.  I added an OM-1 for
> the quality, access to macro lenses, and value.  Zuiko lenses, new and used,
> are comparable in price to anything else on the market.  If anything prices
> of Canon FD lenses, particularly L-series glass, have increased out of
> proportion to their quality.
>
> Lex
> ===
>
> >From: Island335@xxxxxxx
> >
> >However, he had two caveats: 1) the OM equipment is surprisingly costly,
> >much more than similar vintage Canon, Minolta or even Nikon; 2) he is
> >worried about the increasing age of the line...
> >
> >Ellis

Sean Chan         Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx       http://www.msdw.co.jp
EI/UNIX IT Dept.  +81 3 5424-4318 (W)        +81 3 5424-4399 (F)
Morgan Stanley Dean Witter Japan Ltd., Yebisu Garden Place Tower
20-3, Ebisu 4-Chome, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, JAPAN           150-6008