Re: [OM] Problem with OM Diopter chart

Subject: Re: [OM] Problem with OM Diopter chart
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:12:08 +0200
: diopters, I can't seem to reproduce the values in the table.  Seems to
: me all the values on the right should should be X.5 instead of X.0
: diopters.  What am I missing?
:
:         The number engraved on the lens is the final diopter in
conjunction
:         with OM body and is listed on the left. The initial (actual)
:         diopter of each Dioptric Correction Lens is listed on the right.
:
:         That is also the value of corrective glasses to which it
corresponds.
:                 +2      +4
:                 +1      +3
:                 0       +2
:                 -1      +1
:                 -2      0
:                 -3      -1
:                 -4      -2
:                 -5      -3

I never understood this table myself. But this is exactly how it's printed
in the SIF, both on the page that describes Eyecup 1 + Correction Lenses 1
and on the page that describes Eyecup 2 + Correction Lenses 2.

There's also a graph included on both pages (not in the e-SIF) that shows
the relation between focal length of eye glasses and their dioptric value.
The text next to it repeats the logic of the tables:

"To obtain the optimum Dioptric Correction Lens, subtract 2 from the diopter
of the glasses, by which calculation the final diopter is determined as
engraved on each Correction Lens."

I wear contact lenses, marked -4.5. The correction lens marked -5 works for
me when I'm not wearing my lenses. The one marked -3 doesn't work for me. I
don't have the one marked -4 but if the logic would be (engraved value) -
0.5 than that lens would probably the best for me? Question remains what Oly
meant with the subtraction of 2.

hnz