Re: [OM] Re:minimum carry kits

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:minimum carry kits
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:37:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Peter A. Klein sez:
<snip>
> I have always wondered why super-wides have become so popular.  I've even
> heard people say that they regard a 24mm as their "normal" lens.
<nother snip>
> So all you folks that think 28mm is already a medium telephoto, why do you
> like your super-wides so much?

  As someone who uses the 28's (often as my single lens when going
'ultralight') and 24's, here's a few reasons why I like them:

      [In no particular order]

    Doris Fang's Top Ten Reasons for using Wides

1.-  The sensation of 3-D depth they impart to an image.

2.-   How a composition changes with miniscule shifts in POV,
      what one could call the "plasticity of space".

3.-   Working up close adds a sense of intimacy & immediacy
      in some cases, often simply because you're forced
      into closer interaction with your subject.

4.-   The way it draws the viewers into the image, rabbit-hole
      style.

5.-   How W.A.'s emphasize foreground and the environment around
      the subject.

6.-   They make things more difficult and rewarding, by complexifying
      the situation.

7.-   When using flash, working closer allows a smaller f/stop
      and more separation (through fall-off from the flash) of
      the subject from the background.

8.-   W.A.s seem much faster to work with (which is good, because
      it seems like things happen faster when one is closer !).

9.-   They reduce the effects of fog, smoke and heavy haze (because
      there's less of it between you and the subject).

10-   Hand-holdability. Important for available darkness and when
      using slow films in deep shade.

                                         *= Doris Fang =*